Information about the fare increase
At its meeting on December 5, 2013, the Metrolinx Board of Directors approved a GO Transit fare increase which will take effect on February 1, 2014. The fare increase will enable GO to continue to provide a high level of customer service while improving and expanding service to meet increasing ridership demand.
GO Transit is constantly working to enhance the services we offer and provide our customers with high quality service. Fare increases have allowed GO Transit to implement services such as 30-minute train service on the Lakeshore line, more 12-car trains to relieve crowding and more bus trips on some of our busiest routes. See how we’re improving.
In 2014, enhancements and improvements will include:
- more bus trips on some of the busiest routes
- more train trips on some lines
- more 12-coach trains on some of the busiest routes to reduce overcrowding
As GO fares vary by distance travelled, the cost per single adult ride when using a paper ticket will increase incrementally as below to ensure the increase is equitable for customers across the system:
- 35 cent increase on current fares between $4.85 and $6.15;
- 45 cent increase on current fares between $6.16 and $7.80; and
- 55 cent increase on current fares greater than $7.80.
*Fares for children, students and seniors will also increase accordingly.
The increase will be less for the majority of our customers who use PRESTO as the loyalty discounts will increase as below:
- The discount will increase to 10% off the single adult paper ticket fare (up from the current 8.75% off) for rides 1–35
- For rides 36–40, and for rides 41+, the current loyalty discount will remain the same
- The discount will increase to 17.25% off the single adult paper ticket fare (up from the current 16.25% off) for rides 1-30
- For rides 31-40, and for rides 41+, the current loyalty discount will remain the same
For children and seniors:
- The discount will increase to 51.50% off the single adult paper ticket fare (up from the current 50.75% off) for rides 1-40
- For rides 41+, the current loyalty discount will remain the same
See our on-line fare calculator to find out what your new fare will be.