GO Student ID


Students aged 13 to 19 must have a valid, current year, Canadian school-issued identification (ID) when traveling on GO. This ID must be kept handy for fare inspection by GO Transit Safety Officers; students in this category do not require a separate GO Student ID card unless their school does not issue student ID. School-issued IDs distributed in the 2016-17 school year are valid for student fares until October 31, 2017.

Post-secondary students

To qualify for the student fare, students must have GO-approved student ID. This student ID can be either school issued or GO Transit issued depending on the institution. For all students, a PRESTO card with the student concession fare is required to benefit from the GO Transit student fare discount.


Registered full-time students at the following schools may use their school-issued student card to travel using the GO Transit Student discount fare anywhere on the GO system. A separate GO Transit-issued student ID card is not required.


  • GO Transit accepts identification cards that are issued by McMaster University to its full-time students only if they also possesses the school-issued Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) Transit Pass. If the student does not have the HSR Transit Pass, some exceptions apply. Please visit McMaster’s Office of Sustainability website for complete details.
  • Student ID Cards issued from Durham College, UOIT, and Trent University's Oshawa campus, that indicate full-time status and feature a small bus icon, are accepted as valid identification for student fares on the GO Transit system. These student cards are not accepted as fare on the GO Transit system, but are considered valid student identification when traveling with a student discount fare using PRESTO.


Registered full-time students at the following schools may obtain a GO Transit validation sticker to adhere to their school-issued student ID card. For more information and to pick up your sticker, please visit your Registrar’s Office on campus.


Registered full-time students at the following schools may apply for a GO Transit-issued student ID card. For more information, please visit your Registrar’s Office on campus.


Registered full-time students at the following schools may apply for an electronic GO Transit-issued Student ID using the online application.


  • “Student” means a person living in an area served by a transit system who is:

    • In full attendance for a minimum period of eight consecutive weeks and not earning a salary from full-time employment while attending:
      1. a post-secondary educational institution; or
      2. a post-secondary vocational institution that is either public or registered under the Private Career Colleges Act. 2005 S.0. 2005, Chapter 28.
    • You hereby agree that in the event any of the information provided by you in the Application changes, including your email address, you will promptly notify GO Transit, a division of Metrolinx, by email to studentid@gotransit.com or by phone (416) 869-3600 ext. 7272.
    • You may be asked by an authorized GO Transit officer to show your GO Transit Student ID. Upon being so requested, you must produce your GO Transit Student ID to the authorized GO Transit officer. Therefore, you must carry your GO Transit Student ID (in electronic or paper format) at all times while travelling on the GO Transit system in order for your ticket to be valid.
    • The GO Transit Student ID is not transferable and shall not be used by anyone other than the person named in the Application to which the GO Transit Student ID is associated with.
    • Students are required to complete an online application which can be found here (the "Application").
The request to submit an application can be found here.

If you have any questions, please visit our FAQ page.


All other schools not mentioned above must meet the following criteria for their school-issued student ID to act as valid student identification:

  • Issued by a Canadian College or University, including Career Colleges registered under the Private Career Colleges Act, (excluding online courses/institutions);
  • Issued annually;
  • Shows an expiry date of the current academic year;
  • Shows full-time status of the student

Full-time students attending post-secondary schools not listed above or that do not have school-issued student ID cards that meet the criteria for valid identification may obtain a GO Transit-issued student ID card by using a paper application form received from their respective school.

Students must have an authorized official at their school sign the completed application form in order for it to be considered.

To obtain a card, the signed application form can be submitted to the Union Station Customer Service Centre in one of three ways:

  1. Take the signed form to Union Station Customer Service where a card will be made up on the spot.
  2. Take the signed form to any GO Train station. It will be sent to Union Station to be processed, and then returned for pick-up at the station of the student’s choice (as indicated on the application). Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
  3. Mail the signed form, along with a self-addressed, stamped return envelope to: Union Station, Customer Service 35 York St., Toronto, ON M5J 0C7.

For students registered for seven months or more of full-time classes, GO Student ID cards are valid throughout the summer months. For the 2016-17 school year, these cards expire October 31, 2017.

To learn more about student fares, please visit our Ticket Types or GOing to school pages.