GO Student ID
Elementary, junior high, and high school students (public, Catholic, and private)
Students must have a valid, current year, Canadian school-issued identification (ID) when traveling on GO. This ID must be kept handy for PRESTO; students in this category do not require a separate GO Student ID card unless their school does not issue student ID. School-issued IDs distributed in the 2015-16 school year are valid for student fares until October 31, 2016.
To qualify for the student fare, students must have GO-approved student ID. This student ID can be either school issued or GO Transit issued depending on the institution.
Registered full-time students at the following schools can use their school-issued student card to load their PRESTO card at the student discount rate for travel anywhere on the GO system. A separate GO Transit-issue student ID card is no longer required.
- GO Transit accepts identification cards that are issued by McMaster University to its full time graduate and undergraduate students only if the student also possesses the school-issued Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) Transit Pass. If the student does not have the HSR Transit Pass, some exceptions apply. Please visit
McMaster’s Office of Sustainability website for complete details.
- School-issued student cards from Durham College, UOIT, and Trent University's Oshawa campus, that indicate the cardholder's full-time status, that feature a small bus icon are no longer accepted as valid fare on GO Bus routes 51, 52, 88, 92, 93, 96 and 98 within Durham Region, and regular GO fares will apply.
- These student cards, which feature a small bus icon, are not accepted as fare on GO Trains, but are considered valid student identification when traveling with a student-discount fare. Although DRT U-Passes are not valid for travel after the end of the school year, they can be used as GO Transit Student Identification to qualify for student fares during the summer months. Student cards from 2014-15 expire October 31, 2015.
- Registered full-time students at these schools can use their school-issued student cards to load their PRESTO cards at the student discount rate for travel anywhere on the GO system. A separate GO Student ID card is no longer required.
- To qualify for the discounted rate on GO travel, students must have a card from one of these three schools that indicates full-time status and that includes a small bus icon.
Registered full-time students at the following schools can obtain a GO Transit validation sticker to adhere to their school-issued student ID card. For more information and to pick up your sticker, please visit your Registrar’s Office on campus.
Registered full-time students at the following schools must apply for a GO Transit-issued student ID card. For more information, please visit your Registrar’s Office on campus.
Registered full-time students at University of Toronto can get their GO Student ID by bringing their TCard to the TCard Office on their campus.
NEW FULL-TIME STUDENTS at University of Toronto who do not currently possess a valid 2014/15 GO Student ID can get a 2015/16 GO Student ID card by bringing proof of University acceptance to our Student Services Centre in Union Station from August 31 to September 18, where a card will be issued on the spot. After September 18, please visit any one of our Union Station service wickets. After September 30, University of Toronto will provide GO Student ID cards via Tcard offices.
All other schools must meet the following criteria for their school-issued student ID as valid student identification:
- Issued by a Canadian College or University, including Career Colleges registered under the Private Career Colleges Act, (excluding online courses/institutions);
- Issued annually;
- Shows an expiry date of the current academic year;
- Shows full-time status of the student
Full-time students attending post-secondary schools not listed above or that do not have school-issued student ID cards that meet the criteria for valid identification may obtain a GO Transit-issued student ID card by using a paper application form received from their respective school. Students must have an authorized official at their school sign the completed application form in order for it to be considered.
To obtain a card, the signed application form can be submitted to the Union Station Customer Service Centre in one of three ways:
- Take the signed form to Union Station Customer Service where a card will be made up on the spot.
- Take the signed form to any GO Train station. It will be sent to Union Station to be processed, and then returned for pick-up at the station of the student’s choice (as indicated on the application). Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
- Mail the signed form, along with a self-addressed, stamped return envelope to:
Union Station, Customer Service
35 York St., Toronto, ON M5J 0C7
For students registered for seven months or more of full-time classes, GO Student ID cards are valid throughout the summer months. For the 2015-16 school year, these cards expire October 31, 2016.
To learn more about student fares, please visit our Ticket Types or GOing to school pages.