We're Transforming Your Station!
Major improvements are coming to Rutherford GO. We're adding parking, updating amenities, enhancing accessibility and creating more connections.
Read the information on this page to better understand what’s changing at your station, options for how to get on the GO during construction and all the new amenities you’ll experience when we’re finished. When you're done, please complete this short survey. Your feedback helps us learn the helpfulness of content on this page, what’s important to you and what you want to see us improve on.
On June 2 there will be changes to the way you get into and around your station so that we can start work on your new parking garage. Here’s what you need to know:
- The south entrance to the station from Westburne Drive will close. Please use the north entrance from Westburne Drive to access the main parking lot.
- We’re reshaping the Kiss & Ride. The two south lanes will close and we will extend the lanes to the west. Please use the dedicated Kiss & Ride so that you and other passengers stay safe.
- The bike racks will move to the west side of the station building, close to the Kiss & Ride.
- All reserved and most carpool parking spaces will be relocated to a temporary parking lot at 635 Westburne Drive until the parking garage opens in 2022. Motorcycle and scooter parking will also move to the temporary lot. It will have direct and safe access to the west platform, with two PRESTO devices next to the new walkway.
- We also need to close 10 regular parking spaces so that we can safely begin building your new parking garage.
- All accessible parking spaces will move to the two lanes west of the Kiss & Ride.
When this work is complete, there will be close to 1,200 new parking spaces at your station.
Map of construction at Rutherford GO
We understand that these changes will make finding parking at Rutherford challenging for some of you. Here are some alternatives on how you can get to Rutherford GO apart from driving and parking alone. Learn about your walking, transit, cycling or carpooling options during construction.
Find your home “zone” then zoom in for more detailed information.
How You Will Benefit
A pedestrian tunnel has already been installed under the track and is ready to connect you to the second platform and track we're building as part of this project - both needed for increased service in both directions.
Here’s what else is coming to your station and the community:
- A new second track and platform to accommodate more frequent Barrie line service in both directions
- Renovated platforms with canopies to connect to the new parking garage
- New elevators on both platforms to connect to the pedestrian tunnel
- Better pedestrian and cyclist connectivity, including a pedestrian bridge over Rutherford Road, and dedicated bike lanes on Rutherford Road
- A parking garage that will add 1,200 new spaces connected to a new station building
- An upgraded bus loop and Kiss & Ride
- Secure indoor bike parking spaces
We will also be building a grade separation at Rutherford Road. This means we will be separating the tracks from the road so traffic will no longer have to wait for a train to pass, which will be a major traffic and safety improvement when we increase GO train service.
We’re also working with the City of Vaughan to improve access in and out of the station, which we know has become challenging as ridership has grown over the last number of years.
We expect new parking spots and the grade separation to open in 2022.
We’ll keep you informed throughout this project. To get updates sent directly to your inbox or phone, sign up for Rutherford On the GO alerts at onthegoalerts.gotransit.com. You can also follow the Barrie line on Twitter @GOTransitBR.
Learn more about Barrie GO Expansion.
Updated: June 6, 2019 | Renderings subject to change