We're Transforming Your Station!
Major improvements are coming to Rutherford GO. We're adding parking, updating amenities, enhancing accessibility and creating more connections.
Read the information on this page to better understand what’s changing at your station, options for how to get on the GO during construction and all the new amenities you’ll experience when we’re finished. When you're done, please complete this short survey. Your feedback helps us learn the helpfulness of content on this page, what’s important to you and what you want to see us improve on.
We are starting construction on Rutherford Road that will separate the tracks from the road. This means that traffic will no longer have to wait for a train to pass - a major traffic and safety improvement. In order to do this work, there will be some changes to the way you access Rutherford GO Station.
There will be some changes to the way you access and park at Rutherford GO Station:
- Approximately 195 parking spaces are closed in the south parking lot closer to accommodate important utility installation work.
- There is still plenty of parking available for customers.
- Walkways along Westburne Drive may be adjusted to accommodate construction. Please follow signs to safely get to the station.
Boarding Your Train
The north half of the platform will be closed for construction so we can build a second track and platform as part of GO Expansion. This will mean some temporary changes to how you get on the GO until this work is complete in late 2020.
Due to recent service changes, you may have to adjust where you normally board your train. Some coaches will not open from outside of the train. Please spread out along the platform and keep the accessibility coach available for those who need it most.
Rutherford GO map
Rutherford GO Construction Map
We understand that these changes will make finding parking at Rutherford challenging for some of you. Here are some alternatives on how you can get to Rutherford GO apart from driving and parking alone. Learn about your walking, transit, cycling or carpooling options during construction.
Find your home “zone” then zoom in for more detailed information.
Access to the station during construction:
We've changed the way you get into and around your station so that we can build your new parking garage. Here’s what you need to know:
- There will be a slight detour on Rutherford Rd between Westburne Dr. and Peter Rupert Ave. Please see the map below. This four-lane detour road will be in place until a new railway overpass bridge over Rutherford Rd is complete in spring 2022.
- The south entrance to the station from Westburne Drive has closed. Use the north entrance from Westburne Drive to access the main parking lot.
- We’ve reshaped the Kiss & Ride. The two south lanes have closed and we extended the lanes to the west. Please use the dedicated Kiss & Ride so that you and other passengers stay safe.
- The bike racks have moved to the west side of the station building, close to the Kiss & Ride.
- All reserved and most carpool parking spaces have been relocated to a temporary parking lot at 635 Westburne Drive until the parking garage opens in 2022. Motorcycle and scooter parking have also moved to the temporary lot. We also closed 10 regular parking spaces to safely build your new parking garage.
- All accessible parking spaces have moved to the two lanes west of the Kiss & Ride.
How You Will Benefit
A pedestrian tunnel has already been installed under the track and is ready to connect you to the second platform and track we're building as part of this project - both needed for increased service in both directions.
Here’s what else is coming to your station and the community:
- A new second track and platform to accommodate more frequent Barrie line service in both directions
- Renovated platforms with canopies to connect to the new parking garage
- New elevators on both platforms to connect to the pedestrian tunnel
- Better pedestrian and cyclist connectivity, including a pedestrian bridge over Rutherford Road, and dedicated bike lanes on Rutherford Road
- Separation of the tracks from Rutherford Road so traffic will no longer have to wait for a train to pass
- A parking garage that will add 1,200 new spaces connected to a new station building
- An upgraded bus loop and Kiss & Ride
- New bike parking spaces
As well, we are working with the City of Vaughan to improve access in and out of the station, which we know has become challenging as ridership has grown over the last number of years.
We expect the new parking spots and the grade separation to open in 2022.
We’ll keep you informed throughout this project. To get updates sent directly to your inbox or phone, sign up for Rutherford On the GO alerts at onthegoalerts.gotransit.com. You can also follow the Barrie line on Twitter @GOTransitBR.
Learn more about Barrie GO Expansion.
Updated: September 24, 2020 | Renderings subject to change