Applications for the next academic year 2021-2022 will be available from August 30, 2021.
We have good news! As of March 14, 2022, we’ve introduced new fare discounts that increase fare savings for teens and post-secondary students travelling on GO Transit with PRESTO. Learn more here.
To get the discounted youth or post-secondary student fare, you must have a GO-approved student ID or a government-issued photo ID (for youth only) and a reloadable PRESTO card. You also must set up your PRESTO card for a youth or post-secondary student fare type and ensure to load funds onto the card in order to travel on GO Transit.
The type of student ID you need depends on whether you’re going to elementary, high, or post-secondary school.
Make sure to always carry applicable identification to show for fare inspection.
Elementary and High School Students
Are you 13- to 19-years-old? You must have a valid, current-year student ID from a Canadian school or a government-issued photo ID when travelling on GO.
School IDs are valid until October 31st, in most cases, following the year of issue. For example, an ID issued for the 2020 to 2021 school year is valid until October 31, 2021. However, we do reserve the right to amend this date depending on the circumstances.
Are you a full-time post-secondary student as defined by the post-secondary institution where you are enrolled and attending a program for a minimum period of 8 consecutive weeks? You must have a GO-approved student ID in order to pay the post-secondary student fare. The ID can be from either your school or GO Transit.
Which School ID You Can Use
Your student ID from your school must:
- Be issued by a Canadian college or university, including career colleges registered under the Private Career Colleges Act (excluding online courses, institutions, and ESL programs).
- Be issued annually.
- Show an expiry date of the current academic year.
- Show your full-time status.
How to Apply for Student ID from GO Transit
You can apply for a GO Transit student ID online.
Reminder: Prior to October 31, 2021 – if you are:
- A returning student, you are able to use last years’ GO Transit Student ID (verify the expiration date of your ID card is still valid).
- A student aged 19 and under, your school-issued student ID card still acts as a valid student identification.
- A post-secondary student, please apply for your GO Transit Student ID card online.
- McMaster University: To qualify for the GO Transit post-secondary fare discount you must be enrolled as a full time student and have the 2021/2022 HSR Bus Pass from your Mosaic account loaded on your PRESTO card. Simply visit any staffed GO Transit Ticket Counter or a participating Customer Service Outlet to set the student rate on the same PRESTO card. Please visit www.prestocard.ca for more information including finding the closest Customer Service Outlets near you. A separate GO issued Student ID is not required. GO Transit will accept this PRESTO card for travel on GO trains/buses. For travel with GO Transit students have to load money and set the student concession on the card.
What to Do if You Delete Your Electronic Student ID
If you accidentally delete the email that has your electronic GO Transit student ID, contact email@example.com and we’ll re-send your ID. We'll do our best to get back to you in 3 business days.
What to Do If Your School Isn’t Listed
Are you a full-time student at a post-secondary school that isn’t listed above or doesn’t issue student ID cards that match GO’s guidelines? Get in touch with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.