Published: March 8, 2022
Hey there, hockey fans! Have we got good news for you! The 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM is happening soon - right here in the Greater Golden Horseshoe! This year, the Toronto Maple Leafs® will play the Buffalo Sabres® at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field. You’ll want to bundle up to watch this open-air game but, after all, does anything say “winter in Canada” more than hockey on an outdoor rink? We don’t think so, either.
Cheering on your favourite team at an outdoor game will bring back memories of playing shinny at your neighbourhood outdoor rink. Bring the kids, the grandparents, aunts and uncles. When you travel with GO, it’s easy to share this great experience with the whole family. It’s LeafsTM v Sabres at a quintessentially Canadian venue! You don’t want to miss these teams facing off in a game!
Here’s everything you need to know to plan your trip to the 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM:
What you should know:
- Date: Sunday, March 13, 2022
- Time: 4 p.m.
- How to Purchase: Click here to purchase tickets. Tim Hortons Field is currently a cashless stadium.
- Location: Tim Hortons Field, 64 Melrose Ave. N, Hamilton, ON L8L 8C1
- Get There With GO: Take the Lakeshore West line to West Harbour GO Station, then take our special GO bus shuttle to get you to and from the game. See schedule for more information!
- COVID-19 Safety: You can read all the details of the health and safety measures at Tim Hortons Field here.
There’s no need to spend game day sitting in traffic! Leave your vehicle at home and concentrate on the fun instead of the car in front of you. GO Transit makes your travel to the 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM a breeze. As the province reopens, we’re waiting to welcome you back!
We’ll be running a special GO bus shuttle between West Harbour GO station and Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton to get you to and from the game for FREE!
What you should know:
- The bus shuttles will connect with hourly Lakeshore West GO train arrivals and departures at West Harbour GO. The first bus shuttles will depart West Harbour GO following the 11:03 a.m. train arrival and the last shuttles towards West Harbour GO will depart at 8:40 p.m.
- The bus shuttle will drop off and pick up passengers near the Tim Hortons Field at St. Ann Hamilton Roman Catholic Church located at Barton St. East and Sherman Ave. North, about a 10-minute walk away from event.
- Be ready to show your game tickets to the driver when you board the bus shuttle!
Use a $10 One-Day on the weekend pass to travel to and from the game ! It’s an easy and affordable way to get to the game. Or, use a $15 Weekend Pass for unlimited GO travel all weekend long if you’re planning other outings, too.
Kids GO Free
If you’re making it a family event, remember that kids aged 12 and under always ride GO Transit for free. Travelling with the whole family is simple, and kids will love riding the train to the game!
Safety Is Our Priority
Are you taking your kids or grandkids to the 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM? We’ve got some fun facts for you to talk about during your GO train ride to the game. While all you diehard hockey fans probably know these trivia facts already, they’re great to share with little ones who are just discovering their love of the game!
(And if you happen to learn a little something new yourself, don’t worry - we won’t tell your game day buddies that you don’t know absolutely everything about the history of hockey.)
- The first NHL Heritage Classic took place in Edmonton, Alberta in 2003. This is the first time it has been hosted in Ontario.
- This is the first appearance in the NHL Heritage ClassicTM for both the Toronto Maple Leafs® and the Buffalo Sabres®.
- The LeafsTM are the only Canadian team that have yet to play in a NHL Heritage ClassicTM and the Sabres are the first ever U.S. team to play in one.
- Tim Hortons Field is named for hockey legend, and co-founder of everyone’s favourite coffee and donut shop, Tim Hortons. During his career, he played for both the Toronto Maple Leafs® and the Buffalo Sabres®, among other teams.
- Tim Hortons Field is less than a 20-minute walk from the original Tim Hortons store, located at 65 Ottawa St. N. (Always an option for a pre or post-game snack!
Are your kids counting down the days until the 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM? Have them channel some of that excitement into creative energy with some colouring fun! Download and print our free GO Winter Colouring Pages and break out the crayons and markers.
There’s a picture of GO Bear skating and a picture of two young hockey fans holding their sticks as they enjoy a GO train ride, as well as other fun wintry scenes. They’re sure to help your little ones keep busy while they wait for the big day of the 2022 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage ClassicTM!
© NHL 2022