Updated: March 14, 2022
Published date: March 1, 2022
We have exciting news! As of March 14, 2022, we’ve made it more affordable for you to travel with GO Transit.
We've increased the PRESTO discount for teens and post-secondary students, made travel free between GO and most local transit, and introduced a pilot to reimburse 50% of the adult GO fare for customers who are enrolled in Peel Region’s Affordable Transit Program.
At GO Transit, we care about providing transportation to everyone who needs it, and we believe that these fare changes will make travelling with us more accessible to our customers. We made it easier than ever for customers to get where they’re going in a way that’s more affordable.
We want to ensure that travelling with GO Transit is affordable for youth and post-secondary students. That’s why we increased the PRESTO fare discount to 40% off the full adult fare! More savings means more outings with friends and family, more cost-effective school commuting, or more weekend visits home.
We changed our current Student fare to a more inclusive Youth fare, and expanded the eligibility to all customers aged 13-19 years, regardless of school status.
Need to know:
- Anyone aged 13-19 years is eligible for the Youth fare discount.
- The discount applies to GO Transit and UP Express.
- The discount is only available with a PRESTO card.
- Riders who are already set up with the current Student fare on their PRESTO card will receive the increased discount as of March 14, 2022. You can calculate what your PRESTO fare will be here.
- Riders must travel with their Canadian school-issued ID or a government-issued photo ID to prove their age and avoid fines.
- This change makes our Youth fare eligibility more consistent with other transit systems in the region and makes it easier for teens to access discounts.
- Learn more about setting up your PRESTO card to receive the Youth fare here!
Remember that kids aged 12 and under always ride GO for free!
From tuition to books, post-secondary students already have a lot of expenses. By increasing our Post-Secondary Student fare discount from 22.5% to 40% off the full adult fare, we hope to lessen a bit of that financial burden. The adjusted post-secondary student fare makes travelling to and from school, whether on a daily basis or for the occasional visit home, more affordable.
Need to know:
- All full-time post-secondary students will be eligible for the discounted fare, regardless of age.
- The discount applies to GO Transit and UP Express.
- The discount is only available with a PRESTO card, as of March 14, 2022. You can calculate what your PRESTO fare will be here.
- Always travel with your GO Transit Student ID or equivalent to prove your post-secondary student status and avoid fines.
Learn more about setting up your PRESTO card to receive the Post-Secondary Student fare here!
We know that travel costs can really add up when you’re connecting between more than one transit system. That’s why we increased the co-fare discount on most local transit agencies to 100% as of March 14, 2022! Your local transit fare is completely FREE if you’re travelling to or from GO Transit and one of these local transit agencies:
- Durham Region Transit
- Milton Transit
- Grand River Transit
- Guelph Transit
- Oakville Transit
- Brampton Transit
- Hamilton Street Railway
- Burlington Transit
- Bradford West Gwillimbury Transit
- York Region Transit
- Barrie Transit (you’ll continue to receive free Barrie Transit fare)
Here’s how you can receive the discount:
- If your local transit agency uses PRESTO*, the discount is applied automatically when you tap between GO Transit and local transit. (*Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Durham Region Transit, Oakville Transit, and York Region Transit also accept a valid GO single-ride paper ticket or day pass ticket as proof of GO fare payment.)
- If your local transit agency DOES NOT use PRESTO, you can show your PRESTO card as proof of a valid GO Transit fare on local transit. A valid, GO single-ride paper ticket or day pass ticket will also be considered proof of GO fare payment on local transit.
- Please note that GO e-tickets are not accepted as proof of GO fare payment on local transit.
- Use Triplinx to make planning your trips using GO and your local transit a breeze!
- More affordable transit will make it easier for you to leave the car at home when you’re commuting, attending concerts and sporting events, or visiting family and friends. It’s good for the planet, good for your wallet, and good for avoiding the stress of traffic!
As another way of creating transit that is more accessible, we launched a pilot on March 14, 2022, to benefit riders who are enrolled in Peel Region’s Affordable Transit Program. We will reimburse 50% of the GO Transit adult fare for those customers.
How it works:
- If you’re a resident of Peel Region and are enrolled in the Affordable Transit Program with Brampton Transit or MiWay, you will be reimbursed for 50% of your PRESTO adult fare when you travel on GO Transit using your PRESTO card.
- You do not need to connect between GO Transit and Brampton Transit or MiWay to qualify for the reimbursement. It will apply to ANY trip that you take using GO Transit.
- To receive the reimbursement, simply tap on a PRESTO device within 30 days of travelling on GO Transit. After you tap on the PRESTO device, you will see your reimbursed fare on your PRESTO account within seven days.
About The Peel Affordable Transit Program:
The Peel Affordable Transit Program is a partnership between the Region of Peel, the City of Brampton, and the City of Mississauga’s transit authorities. The program subsidizes 50% of the cost of a monthly PRESTO pass on local transit for low-income individuals in Brampton or Mississauga.
You can learn more about eligibility for the program and how to apply for a discounted pass for Brampton Transit or MiWay on the Peel Region website.
At GO Transit, we care about creating equitable access to communities. Through the GO Affordability Pilot, we increased access to jobs, educational opportunities, and leisure activities for riders who need it most - within and beyond their municipalities.
We expanded the pilot to other transit systems in a phased approach with the aim of helping everyone get where they need to go.
Let’s GO Together
It’s been a stressful two years for everyone, but we look forward to relieving some of your financial stress with our new fare discounts. As always, we are committed to helping you get to where you need to go safely and comfortably. Check out our top 10 rider tips to help you return to GO easily. Welcome back on board!