Interested in finding out ‘What data is collected behind the scenes’? Click here for more information.
What is GO Wi-Fi Plus?
GO Wi-Fi Plus offers an entertainment portal that provides unlimited access to hundreds of free videos, shows, music, eBooks and more as well as free limited onboard Wi-Fi.
You can enjoy unlimited access to content on the entertainment portal or connect to Wi-Fi with your registered PRESTO account email and password; or a standard email address.
The PRESTO sign-on will give you 50MB of internet data per session, per device and standard account email sign-on will give you 10MB of internet data per session, per device. A session is a four-hour trip. If you choose, you can sign up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx and unsubscribe at any time. You will need to re-enter your PRESTO or standard sign-on credentials every 30 days.
How do I connect to GO Wi-Fi Plus?
To access the GO Wi-Fi Plus entertainment portal:
GO Wi-Fi Plus is incompatible with some VPN software including Apple iCloud Private Relay.
If you wish to use GO Wi-Fi Plus, you will need to disable your VPN or Private Relay software.
- Once you are on a GO train or bus, go to your Wi-Fi settings on your device and select the “GO Plus Wi-Fi” network
- Using an Android device or laptop? Open your browser and enter gopluswifi.com (iOS devices and Android 11 and above, will redirect automatically)
- Once there, you will need to read and agree to the GO Wi-Fi Plus Terms and Conditions.
- Then, click CONTINUE to take advantage of the free entertainment portal.
You can navigate the content through various tools:
- Time of Your Ride
- Content Partner Tiles
To connect to the free limited Wi-Fi:
- Click the Web Icon on the top of the screen
- Choose to sign in with either your registered PRESTO account email or your standard email
- Enter your details, select your preferences and the required fields.
- Once connected, you will have 50MB (PRESTO account login) or 10MB (email login) of internet access; great for emails, messaging and social media.
- Don’t forget, turning off background apps will assist in reducing data use.
- For the best results always ensure that your device has the most current operating system.
What is Apple iCloud Private Relay?
When Private Relay is enabled, your requests are sent through two separate secure internet relays. iCloud Private Relay is designed to protect your privacy when you browse the web in Safari.
Is Private Relay the same as a VPN?
It is similar to how a VPN works, however with Apple's iCloud Private Relay it does not offer users any way to mask their geographic location.
Will GO Wi-Fi Plus work if iCloud Private Relay is turned on?
Unfortunately, as with any VPN when accessing public Wi-Fi services, Private Relay will block access to the on board GO Wi-Fi Plus network.
How do I turn off Private Relay?
Turn off Private Relay for a specific network on your iPhone or iPad
- Go to Settings, then tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the More Info button next to the Wi-Fi network.
- Scroll down and tap Limit IP Address Tracking.
For mobile networks, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options, and tap Limit IP Address Tracking.
Turn off Private Relay for a specific network on your Mac
In macOS Ventura or later:
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings.
- Click Network and select the network from the list to see more options.
- Click the tick next to Limit IP Address Tracking.
In macOS Monterey:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Network and select the network from the list to see more options.
- Click the tick next to Limit IP Address Tracking.
What if I forget my PRESTO account email address or password?
If you forget your PRESTO account email address or password, follow the links on the PRESTO sign-on page that will take you to the prestocard.ca website to reset your information. If you don’t have a registered PRESTO account email address or password, you may need to create a PRESTO account first. You cannot change any of your PRESTO Account settings on prestocard.ca from GO Wi-Fi Plus.
Where can I access GO Wi-Fi Plus?
On all GO trains and buses.
GO Wi-Fi Plus is not available on station platforms, in Union Station or from your home or work.
What devices can I use?
While GO Wi-Fi Plus is designed for use on most mobile devices, it can also be used on tablets and laptops.
The latest release and previous two versions of these operating systems are supported: Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS.
Supported browsers are: Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
Do you collect Cookies?
Some functions will require your device to have cookies enabled. For example, for the ‘Remember Me’ function that auto-populates the email used to sign on, you will be asked to re-validate the email every 30 days. No personal information is transmitted via cookies.
Do I have to buy internet data to access the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal?
No, the videos, shows, music and eBooks are free to access without using your 50MB or 10MB allotment of free high speed internet data.
Does the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal count towards internet usage?
No, the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal does not require the use of your internet data allotment.
Can I get back to the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal if I left it to go to the internet?
Yes, when you’re on a train or bus, type gopluswifi.com in your browser bar. GO Wi-Fi Plus is not available on station platforms, in Union Station or from your home or work.
Can I use streaming video websites when connected to GO Wi-Fi Plus?
Unfortunately, no. To ensure we are providing a good experience for all GO customers, streaming from video sites that require a high volume of data is not permitted. We recommend using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal to access free videos, music, eBooks and more.
Are there any restrictions on what websites I can visit?
Yes. Access to websites that contain hate speech, violence, weapons, adult material, drugs, child abuse, extremism, illegal activities will be restricted.
Can I message family and friends once I am connected to the internet?
Yes, you can message family and friends through internet-based applications, such as iMessage and WhatsApp, once connected to the free Wi-Fi.
Is all content suitable for all ages?
GO Wi-Fi Plus content has been selected to appeal to a wide range of ages and interests. Not all content maybe suitable for children, but we have included some content specifically for children.
Is there any French content on the portal?
The language of the content on the GO Wi-Fi Plus portal is determined by the content provider it is coming from. Most programs and books will be in English, however some other languages may be available. Some videos may have sub-titles available in French; check the Closed Captioning and Settings within the videos for these features.
What happens if my trip ends before I finish watching a video, listening to music or reading a book?
For the best viewing and listening experience, ensure that cookies are enabled in your browser. In most instances, with the exception of music playlists, this will ensure that you return to the spot in the content you were previously enjoying.
You can also choose the Time of Your Ride selection which matches the content to the duration of your trip.
I am having trouble connecting to GO Wi-Fi Plus, what should I do?
For access to the free Wi-Fi, have you clicked the Web Icon on the top right hand corner of the entertainment portal and logged in by using either your registered PRESTO account email and password, or a standard email address? If not, then please complete the sign-on process.
If you have already signed on, please wait a few minutes and try again. If you continue to have trouble connecting, there may be a technical issue or service interruption.
For assistance or to report a technical issue please contact the GO / UP Contact Centre at 416-869-3200 Toronto (local calling area) or 1-888-GET-ON-GO (438-6646) toll-free. Technical issues may require maintenance, please provide the customer service representative with the bus or train coach number, route, time and nature of the issue.
While we do our best to have the GO Wi-Fi Plus service available, there may be times when it is not. For example, there may be interruptions due to maintenance work, network or equipment failures, third-party service failures, signal strength or other reasons beyond Metrolinx’s control. Service is provided on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. Metrolinx does not warrant or guarantee the performance, availability, uninterrupted use or operation of the Service.
Why do I keep receiving emails? I didn't check the “Sign me up…” box the last time I used GO Wi-Fi Plus.
You're receiving emails because at some point you clicked ‘Sign me up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx.’ If you no longer wish to receive emails, while we're sorry to see you go, you can click the unsubscribe link on the next GO Wi-Fi Plus email you receive.
How GO Wi-Fi Plus is limiting internet usage?
The GO Wi-Fi Plus is a best effort shared service for all GO Transit customers. To ensure a good experience for all GO customers, GO Transit reserves the right to limit bandwidth and deny access to certain web sites, including certain video streaming sites. We recommend using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal, it’s free and doesn’t count towards your internet data usage.
- Sign-on Requirement: You can sign-on with either your registered PRESTO account email and password, or with a standard email address. You will also need to agree to the GO Wi-Fi Plus Terms & Conditions. If you choose, you can sign up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx. You can unsubscribe at any time. You will need to re-register every thirty (30) days.
- Bandwidth limits: Customers who sign-on with their registered PRESTO account email and password will have access to 50MB of free internet data per session, per device. Customers who sign-on with a standard email address will have access to 10MB of free internet data per session, per device. A session is a four hour trip. After reaching the maximum of 50MB or 10MB, internet use will be throttled down to 50 Kb per second, and your internet experience will be reduced. Please consider using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal; it is free to all signed on users.
- Filtering: has been applied to prevent access to video streaming sites that consume a lot of bandwidth and to provide a good experience for all customers. Filtering also blocks access to websites that contain hate speech, violence, weapons, adult material, drugs, child abuse, extremism, illegal activities. Please be aware that some content, products or services (“Content”) available with or through GO Wi-Fi Plus may be offensive to you.
- “Peer to Peer” traffic is not permitted, for example to programs such as BitTorrent, KaZaa, Gnutella, and Morpheus, and others.
What data is collected behind the scenes?
Metrolinx will collect some data from your device when you access GO Wi-Fi Plus. The data collected will help us better understand how customers use our services and where we can improve. For example, which train customers get onto and where they get off (time of day patterns) to inform future ridership recommendations.
Other than your sign-in ID and time of login (which will be encrypted when stored), and unless you consent to receiving emails from us, all information that we store is aggregated and/or de-identified in order to avoid identifying you personally. We will collate our learnings by using a de-identified or hashed version of your device’s Media Access Control (MAC) address – a unique identifier associated with each device.
If you do not wish to have this information collected, we recommend you not use the GO Wi-Fi Plus service.
- Why collect this information? We collect this information to improve services and communications for GO Transit customers. Analyzing Wi-Fi data provides a better understanding of travel patterns, including number of customers using GO services, crowding and trends over time. The data collected also includes how often different types of shows, videos, eBooks or types of music were accessed by customers. This data will be used to help improve future content updates on GO Wi-Fi Plus.
What is the ‘Sign me up…’ checkbox all about?
If you signed on with a registered PRESTO account email and clicked ‘Sign me up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx’, your PRESTO account email address will be pulled from the PRESTO database and stored in a secure database for the purposes of providing marketing communications from Metrolinx and GO Transit. If you signed on to Wi-Fi with an e-mail address, this will also be securely transferred and stored in the same Metrolinx database for marketing purposes.
We will not disclose your personal information to any non-affiliated third party without your prior consent.
Protecting your privacy
Privacy protection is our priority. Strong security measures have been put in place to control and protect the information you enter to sign-on and subscribe to marketing communications. Your de-identified Wi-Fi Meta data is also appropriately secured. In addition, we are committed to compliance with both the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).