Interested in finding out ‘What data is collected behind the scenes’? Click here for more information.
What is GO Wi-Fi Plus?
GO Wi-Fi Plus offers free onboard Wi-Fi as well as a content portal that provides unlimited access to hundreds of free videos, shows, music, eBooks and more.
You can access free Wi-Fi on GO Wi-Fi Plus by either signing on with your registered My PRESTO Account email or username and password; or a standard email address. My PRESTO Account sign-on will give you 50MB of high speed internet data per session, per device and standard Account email sign-on will give you 10MB of high speed internet data per session, per device. Both options will also give you unlimited access to the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal. A session is a four hour trip. You will need to agree to the GO Wi-Fi Plus Terms & Conditions. If you choose, you can sign up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx and unsubscribe at any time. You will need to re-enter your PRESTO or standard sign-on credentials every 30 days.
How do I connect to GO Wi-Fi Plus?
Once you are on a GO train or bus:
- On your device, go to your Wi-Fi settings and select the GO Plus Wi-Fi network
- Using an Android device or laptop? Open your browser and enter gopluswifi.com (iOS devices will redirect automatically)
- Once there, click CONTINUE to sign in to the network
- Choose to sign in with either your registered My PRESTO Account email/username or your standard email
- Enter your details, select your preferences and the required fields
- Once connected, you will have free unlimited access to the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal where you can enjoy shows, music, books and more, in addition to a limited amount of free Wi-Fi data
- Don’t forget, turning off background apps will assist in reducing data use.
What if I forget my My PRESTO Account username, email address or password?
If you forget your My PRESTO Account username, email address or password, follow the links on the PRESTO sign-on page that will take you to the prestocard.ca website to reset your information. If you don’t have a registered My PRESTO Account username, email address or password, you may need to create a MY PRESTO Account first. You cannot change any of your My PRESTO Account settings on prestocard.ca from GO Wi-Fi Plus.
Where can I access GO Wi-Fi Plus?
On GO trains and buses.
Initially, GO Wi-Fi Plus will be available on all buses when it launches. We expect to have it available on all GO trains by early 2021. GO Wi-Fi Plus is not available on station platforms, in Union Station or from your home or work.
What devices can I use?
While GO Wi-Fi Plus is designed for use on most mobile devices, it can also be used on tablets and laptops.
The latest release and previous two versions of these operating systems are supported: Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS.
Supported browsers are: Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
Some functions will require your device to have cookies enabled. For example, for the ‘Remember Me’ function that auto-populates the email or username used to sign on, you will be asked to re-validate the email or username every 30 days. No personal information is transmitted via cookies.
Do I have to buy internet data to access the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal?
No, the videos, shows, music and eBooks are free to access without using your 50MB or 10MB allotment of free high speed internet data.
Does the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal count towards internet usage?
No, the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal does not require the use of your internet data allotment.
Can I get back to the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal if I left it to go to the internet?
Yes, when you’re on a train or bus, type gopluswifi.com in your browser bar. GO Wi-Fi Plus is not available on station platforms, in Union Station or from your home or work.
Can I use streaming video websites when connected to GO Wi-Fi Plus?
Unfortunately, no. To ensure we are providing a good experience for all GO customers, streaming from video sites that require a high volume of data is not permitted. We recommend using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal to access free videos, music, eBooks and more.
Are there any restrictions on what websites I can visit?
Yes. Access to websites that contain hate speech, violence, weapons, adult material, drugs, child abuse, extremism, illegal activities will be restricted.
Can I message family and friends once I am connected to the internet?
Yes, you can message family and friends through internet-based applications, such as iMessage and WhatsApp, once connected to the free Wi-Fi.
Is all content suitable for all ages?
GO Wi-Fi Plus content has been selected to appeal to a wide range of ages and interests. Not all content maybe suitable for children, but we have included some content specifically for children.
Is there any French content on the portal?
The language of the content on the GO Wi-Fi Plus portal is determined by the content provider it is coming from. Most programs and books will be in English, however some other languages may be available. Some videos may have sub-titles available in French; check the Closed Captioning and Settings within the videos for these features.
What happens if my trip ends before I finished watching a video?
Currently, your device will not remember where your video, podcast or album left off.
However, the Home and Watch pages have a ‘How long is your ride?’ feature where you can select content based on how long you will be on a GO train or bus.
I am having trouble connecting to GO Wi-Fi Plus, what should I do?
While on a GO train or bus, have you signed on using either your registered My PRESTO Account email or username and password, or a standard email address? If not then please complete the sign-on process. Please remember to accept the Terms & Conditions.
If you have already signed on, please wait a few minutes and try again. If you continue to have trouble connecting there may be a technical issue or service interruption.
For assistance or to report a technical issue please contact the GO / UP Contact Centre at 416-869-3200 Toronto (local calling area) or 1-888-GET-ON-GO (438-6646) toll-free. Technical issues may require maintenance, please provide the customer service representative with the bus or train coach number, route, time and nature of the issue.
While we do our best to have the GO Wi-Fi Plus service available, there may be times when it is not. For example, there may be interruptions due to maintenance work, network or equipment failures, third-party service failures, signal strength or other reasons beyond Metrolinx’s control. Service is provided on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. Metrolinx does not warrant or guarantee the performance, availability, uninterrupted use or operation of the Service.
Why do I keep receiving emails? I didn't check the “Sign me up…” box the last time I used GO Wi-Fi Plus.
You're receiving emails because at some point you clicked ‘Sign me up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx.’ If you no longer wish to receive emails, while we're sorry to see you go, you can click the unsubscribe link on the next GO Wi-Fi Plus email you receive.
How GO Wi-Fi Plus is limiting internet usage?
The GO Wi-Fi Plus is a best effort shared service for all GO Transit customers. To ensure a good experience for all GO customers, GO Transit reserves the right to limit bandwidth and deny access to certain web sites, including certain video streaming sites. We recommend using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal, it’s free and doesn’t count towards your internet data usage.
- Sign-on Requirement: You can sign-on with either your registered My PRESTO Account email or username and password, or with a standard email address. You will also need to agree to the GO Wi-Fi Plus Terms & Conditions. If you choose, you can sign up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx. You can unsubscribe at any time. You will need to re-register every thirty (30) days.
- Bandwidth limits: Customers who sign-on with their registered My PRESTO Account email or username and password will have access to 50MB of free internet data per session, per device. Customers who sign-on with a standard email address will have access to 10MB of free internet data per session, per device. A session is a four hour trip. After reaching the maximum of 50MB or 10MB, internet use will be throttled down to 50 Kb per second, and your internet experience will be reduced. Please consider using the GO Wi-Fi Plus content portal; it is free to all signed on users.
- Filtering: has been applied to prevent access to video streaming sites that consume a lot of bandwidth and to provide a good experience for all customers. Filtering also blocks access to websites that contain hate speech, violence, weapons, adult material, drugs, child abuse, extremism, illegal activities. Please be aware that some content, products or services (“Content”) available with or through GO Wi-Fi Plus may be offensive to you.
- “Peer to Peer” traffic is not permitted, for example to programs such as BitTorrent, KaZaa, Gnutella, and Morpheus, and others.
What data is collected behind the scenes?
Metrolinx will collect some data from your device when you access GO Wi-Fi Plus. The data collected will help us better understand how customers use our services and where we can improve. For example, which train customers get onto and where they get off (time of day patterns) to inform future ridership recommendations.
Other than your sign-in ID and time of login (which will be encrypted when stored), and unless you consent to receiving emails from us, all information that we store is aggregated and/or de-identified in order to avoid identifying you personally. We will collate our learnings by using a de-identified or hashed version of your device’s Media Access Control (MAC) address – a unique identifier associated with each device.
If you do not wish to have this information collected, we recommend you not use the GO Wi-Fi Plus service.
- Why collect this information? We collect this information to improve services and communications for GO Transit customers. Analyzing Wi-Fi data provides a better understanding of travel patterns, including number of customers using GO services, crowding and trends over time. The data collected also includes how often different types of shows, videos, eBooks or types of music were accessed by customers. This data will be used to help improve future content updates on GO Wi-Fi Plus.
What is the ‘Sign me up…’ checkbox all about?
If you signed on with a registered My PRESTO Account email or username and clicked ‘Sign me up to receive news, promotions, information and offers from Metrolinx’ your My PRESTO Account email address will be pulled from the PRESTO database and stored in a secure database for the purposes of providing marketing communications from Metrolinx and GO Transit. If you signed on to Wi-Fi with an e-mail address, this will also be securely transferred and stored in the same Metrolinx database for marketing purposes.
We will not disclose your personal information to any non-affiliated third party without your prior consent.
Protecting your privacy
Privacy protection is our priority. Strong security measures have been put in place to control and protect the information you enter to sign-on and subscribe to marketing communications. Your de-identified Wi-Fi Meta data is also appropriately secured. In addition, we are committed to compliance with both the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).