PRESTO in Google Wallet™ — Learn About Our Newest Payment Option!
Published: Nov 15, 2023
Updated: Nov 15, 2023
Great news for GO Transit riders! There’s a new way to pay for your GO fare — PRESTO in Google Wallet™!
As of November 14, 2023, you can convert your existing physical PRESTO card to PRESTO card in Google Wallet, or obtain a PRESTO card in Google Wallet from the PRESTO App or Google Wallet.
With PRESTO in Google Wallet, you can tap your Android smartphone or Wear OS smartwatch on a PRESTO device to pay your fare for GO and participating transit agencies. It’s one less thing to carry around, and one more way that we’re giving you choices in how you GO!
What is PRESTO in Google Wallet?
PRESTO in Google Wallet is a digital version of the PRESTO card.
It allows you to pay your GO Transit fare with your PRESTO card in Google Wallet by tapping your Android smartphone or Wear OS smartwatch on a PRESTO device.
With PRESTO in Google Wallet, you have access to all the same fare types and products as the physical PRESTO card, but with some added benefits.
- Registered PRESTO in Google Wallet users don’t need to worry about losing your card.
- A digital PRESTO card is FREE in the PRESTO App or the Google Wallet. (A new physical PRESTO card costs $4.)
- Make changes and load funds to your card instantly, from anywhere, without needing to visit a PRESTO machine.
- You can set up multiple fare types if you qualify for multiple discounts.
How Do I Add My PRESTO Card to Google Wallet?
You can convert your existing physical PRESTO card to PRESTO in Google Wallet from the PRESTO App. It’s completely FREE to convert to PRESTO in Google Wallet.
If you choose to convert to PRESTO in Google Wallet, it’s important to do so before or after your GO ride, not during your trip
If you don’t have a physical PRESTO card now, you can simply get a free PRESTO card in Google Wallet from the PRESTO App or Google Wallet.
We recommend registering your PRESTO card on the PRESTO App to enjoy the many benefits including a more detailed transaction history, the ability to manage multiple cards, and the ability to recover your card if you lose your phone.
What Happens to my Physical PRESTO Card?
After you convert to PRESTO in Google Wallet, your physical PRESTO card will be cancelled and you will no longer be able to use your physical PRESTO card for fare payment.
Don’t worry! Most of your details will be carried over to PRESTO in Google Wallet, including:
- Your balance and passes
- Your fare type
- Your card settings
- Your Autoload/Autorenew contracts
- Your GO default trip
- Your loyalty discount
Your PRESTO in Google Wallet will still be registered to your PRESTO account and can be managed on the PRESTO App, and your card will also be displayed on the PRESTO website but with limited features.
Note: Your transaction history and Transit Usage Report will not be carried over when you convert your physical PRESTO card to PRESTO in Google Wallet. We recommend downloading these reports before converting.
How Do I Pay with PRESTO in Google Wallet?
If you’re using your Android smartphone:
- Wake up your smartphone
- Tap on a PRESTO device; remember to tap off at the end of your trip.
- You’re ready to GO!
If you’re using your Wear OS smartwatch:
- Unlock your smartwatch
- Open Google Wallet
- Tap your smartwatch on a PRESTO device
- Enjoy your trip!
Note: Always tap with the same payment method for your entire journey, including fare inspection.
As with a physical PRESTO card, if you travel between the same two GO Train stations consistently, you can set a default trip using the PRESTO App. A default trip means you only tap on a PRESTO device at the beginning of your train trip and you don’t need to tap off at the end of your train trip. Default trips are only for GO Train trips, not for GO Bus trips.
Where Can I Use PRESTO in Google Wallet?
You can use PRESTO in Google Wallet throughout the GO Transit network!
You can also use PRESTO in Google Wallet on UP Express, Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Durham Region Transit, Hamilton Street Railway, MiWay (in Mississauga), Oakville Transit, TTC, and York Region Transit.
As with the physical PRESTO card, when you use PRESTO in Google Wallet, there’s no need for paper transfers to pay your fare when you’re connecting to these transit agencies. After you tap your PRESTO in Google Wallet to transfer, a message will appear on the PRESTO device to indicate your transfer is accepted.
PRESTO in Google Wallet is an easy and convenient way to pay for your travel around the Greater Golden Horseshoe!
What Else Do I Need to Know?
Here are a few more things to know about PRESTO in Google Wallet:
- A PRESTO card in Google Wallet can only be used on one device at a time. You can manage multiple PRESTO cards in your PRESTO account.
- You can only have one active PRESTO card in Google Wallet at once.
- Unlike registered physical PRESTO cards, registered PRESTO in Google Wallet cards cannot go into overdraft. But, with PRESTO in Google Wallet, you can load funds instantly, from anywhere!
- If you get your digital PRESTO card through Google Wallet, it will be anonymous until you register it using the PRESTO App.
- You can only see three months of transaction history in the PRESTO App and you will not be able to download a Transit Usage Report for your records or tax purposes.
- You need to tap with the same payment for your entire journey, including fare inspection, so be sure that your device is charged if you’ll be using PRESTO in Google Wallet.
Is PRESTO in Google Wallet Right for Me?
That’s really up to you! We offer different methods of payment so you can choose what works best for you. These are some things to consider when making your decision.
A physical PRESTO card may be best for you if:
- You share your card with a family member or friend.
- You like to keep your payment cards separate from your smartphone or smartwatch.
- You prefer to load funds to your PRESTO card at a Customer Service Outlet or Ticket Vending Machine.
- You need to access up to 24 months of transaction history and the Transit Usage Report for your records or for tax purposes.
- You don’t have a smartphone or your smartphone battery is unreliable.
You may want to convert to PRESTO in Google Wallet if:
- You want to enjoy the same discounts and fare types as a physical card, without needing to carry an extra card with you.
- You already enjoy using your smartphone or smartwatch to make payments.
- You find it convenient to be able to load funds instantly with a credit or debit card and see real-time transaction history.
- If PRESTO in Google Wallet sounds like the right payment method for you, convert your physical card today!
If PRESTO in Google Wallet sounds like the right payment method for you, convert your physical card today!