Great news! Through Ontario’s One Fare Program, transit riders can now enjoy free transfers between GO Transit and the TTC.
It’s Time to GO Back to School!
Published: Jul 24, 2023
Updated: Aug 18, 2023
It’s that time again - back to school season! Along with double checking your course schedule and buying your books, we know that planning your commute to school is an important part of your back to school plans.
Whether you’re a first year student and commuting to school is all new for you, or a seasoned post-secondary student who’s returning for another semester, you might have some questions about your commute.
Going back to school with GO is a great choice! We can get you to many post-secondary schools across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Also, you can use our Where’s My Bus service to find out when your GO bus will arrive in real time. Best of all, students save 40% off with PRESTO, and GO Wi-Fi Plus gives you FREE data and a FREE content portal so you can relax and be entertained on your ride to and from school.
If you previously used GO Transit for your commute to school, welcome back! We know that you still might need some refreshers about travelling with us - it’s been a while! We’ve got all your school commuter tips and reminders right here.
Read our tips for everything you need to know for an easy and safe first day of school.
Find your College or University GO Route
GO Transit currently provides connections to 18 universities and colleges across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. For students, this helps to take away the worries of finding parking, car upkeep or having to move close to campus.
Wondering if your post-secondary school is accessible by GO Transit? Check out the GO bus routes that serve colleges and universities in the Greater Golden Horseshoe!
- Use our website to plan your trip and check your schedule ahead of time.
- Plan connections to local transit providers on Triplinx.
- Use our Where’s My Bus service, if you’re taking a GO bus, to find out when your bus is going to arrive in real-time.
Students save 40% on GO with a PRESTO card
Commuting to school with a PRESTO card is easy and convenient - and the best part is that full-time post-secondary students with a GO Transit Student ID save 40% off when using a PRESTO card. Be sure to set up your PRESTO card for the student fare to take advantage of this discount. Applications for the 2023/24 School Year is available starting August 30.
The Youth and Post-Secondary Discount is 40%* off the standard fare (single adult ticket) - just under 29% off the PRESTO fare.
Now’s the time to:
- Look for your PRESTO card! If you’ve lost it or you don’t have one, you can buy a PRESTO card at select Shoppers Drug Mart and grocery store locations or online before your trip. You can also buy a card at a Ticket Vending Machine at select GO stations. If your lost card was registered, your balance is protected and you can transfer it to your new card through your PRESTO account online.
- Download the PRESTO App on the App Store or Google Play.
- Check your card balance and instantly load funds using the app.
- Set up Autoload on the app so you never have to worry about running out of funds on your card. Choose a minimum dollar amount and your PRESTO card will automatically reload when your balance falls below it.
- Remember that many local transit systems also offer discounts for GO customers. PRESTO automatically calculates your discount and applies it to your PRESTO account when you connect to or from GO Transit and your local transit systems.
Student Discounts with PRESTO Perks
Find out how and where you can use your PRESTO card to save with discounts on events, entertainment, attractions, and brands. Check PRESTO Perks to see what new offers become available! Save on yoga, spin classes, food and more.
Set a Default Trip on your PRESTO Card
Do you regularly travel between the same two GO train stations? Make your school commute even easier by setting a GO train default trip on the PRESTO App!
- No need to see a Station Ambassador in person at a GO station - you can easily set it yourself in the app.
- Just tap once at the beginning of your train trip with your PRESTO card. No need to tap off at the end of your trip!
- But remember - default trips are only for GO train trips, not for GO bus trips.
If you’re only attending classes on campus part-time and don’t have a PRESTO card, you’ll love the convenience of buying GO e-tickets!
- Buy e-tickets online
- E-tickets are emailed to you
- Remember to activate your ticket 5 minutes before boarding, using your smartphone.
It’s important to know that cash is not accepted at our ticket counters or on buses, so it’s best to buy ahead of time with cashless and contactless options (cash is accepted at Ticket Vending Machines - $50 and $100 bills are NOT accepted at the machines at this time).
Valid for 7 Days From Purchase
The validation period for GO Transit e-tickets and passes is seven days. E-tickets and passes not yet activated are valid up to seven (7) days from the purchase date.
Onboard & Station Amenities
Check your course updates online, listen to an Audiobook that’s on your course reading list, or just chill out after a day of study and text your friends on your way home. GO Wi-Fi Plus is now available on our buses and trains so you can watch, listen, comment, and share while you ride with FREE data!
- Once connected, you will have 200MB of internet access, great for emails, messaging, and social media.
- FREE and UNLIMITED content? Yes, please! GO Wi-Fi Plus has a content portal that offers you access to TV shows, music, audiobooks, e-books, courses, and podcasts!
- We’ve also teamed up with Audible.ca to offer you free audiobooks, podcasts, and more - courtesy of the Quiet Zone by Audible. Just scan our Quiet Zone signs onboard our trains to redeem your free audiobook.
Free & Reserved Parking
If you’re driving from home to one of our stations, know that we offer FREE parking to customers on a first-come, first-served basis at most GO stations. We’re committed to making your commute to school as easy and cost effective as possible so that you can save your cash for a coffee to bring to your morning class!
Reserved Parking, Carpooling, or Zipcar
If you don’t have class first thing in the morning and you want to be sure that you have a parking spot when you arrive at the station, reserved parking, carpooling, or Zipcar might be a good option for you. Zipcars are available at select GO stations - check to see if your station offers it!
Cycling or Local Transit Options
If you’re looking for alternative ways of getting to your GO station, consider local transit options or you could even walk or cycle. Some GO stations offer bike storage or bike share - it’s an easy way to exercise your body while you’re on your way to exercise your mind!
Stay In The Know
On The GO Alert
Stay up to date on new schedules, service improvements, construction, delays, and other important news by signing up to get On the GO Alerts via text message or email.
Find A Station or Stop
Are you travelling to or from a new-to-you GO station or stop for your school commute? Check out the station page to find departure information, train, bus, and station alerts, and information about construction, fares, and amenities. It’s everything you need to know!
Our emails deliver more than just updates to your inbox —it's a ticket to excitement, promotions, and tips. Don't miss the bus on all the fun! Subscribe today!
GO Branded Back to School Merch
Check out the latest GO branded gear for school - available online only at The Metrolinx Shop! Head back to school with a stylish reversible bucket hat, take your lunch on the GO with the GO train and bus pattern lunch bag, and stay organized at school with the GO Pencil Case.
Now GO and Learn!
You can count on GO to get you to school safely and comfortably so that you can focus on your studies!