Applications for the next academic year 2020-2021 will be available from August 30, 2020.
When you travel by train or bus with GO, you’re not just taking transit, you’re taking back your time. Smash some sweets and beat the next level on your favourite game. Play on the GO. Find your GO time.
Check Your Schedules
GO bus service to schools has been reduced so be sure to check your schedules ahead of time.
Safety Never Stops
Things may be different, but our commitment to your health, comfort and safety will never change. We've increased cleaning on our trains, buses, and in our stations because a safe journey is a clean one.
Check out the 40+ coronavirus safety measures we’re taking to help our passengers and employees travel safe on GO.
Please ride safe with these tips:
- Wear a face covering to protect yourself and others
- Use one of the many hand sanitizing stations available throughout your journey
- Load your PRESTO card before you board with instant loads on the PRESTO App or buy your ticket online.
The type of student ID you need depends on whether you’re going to elementary, high, or post-secondary school.
Make sure to always carry your student ID to show for fare inspection.
Elementary and High School Students
Are you 13- to 19-years-old? You must have a valid, current-year student ID from a Canadian school when travelling on GO.
You don’t need a separate GO student ID unless your school doesn’t issue a student ID.
School IDs are valid until October 31st, in most cases, following the year of issue. For example, an ID issued for the 2019 to 2020 school year is valid until October 31, 2020. However, we do reserve the right to amend this date depending on the circumstances.
Are you a full-time student as defined by the post-secondary institution where you are enrolled and attending a program for a minimum period of 8 consecutive weeks? You must have a GO-approved student ID in order to pay the student fare. The ID can be from either your school or GO Transit.
Which School ID You Can Use
Your student ID from your school must:
- Be issued by a Canadian college or university, including career colleges registered under the Private Career Colleges Act (excluding online courses, institutions, and ESL programs).
- Be issued annually.
- Show an expiry date of the current academic year.
- Show your full-time status.
How to Apply for Student ID from GO Transit
You can apply for a GO Transit student ID online.
Reminder: Prior to October 31, 2020 – if you are:
- A returning student, you are able to use last years’ GO Transit Student ID (verify the expiration date of your ID card is still valid)
- A student aged 19 and under, your high school-issued student ID card still acts as a valid student identification
- A student aged 19 and under without a high school-issued ID, or a student aged 20+ please apply for your GO Transit Student ID card online.
- McMaster University: To qualify for the GO Transit post-secondary fare discount you must be enrolled as a full time student and have the 2020/2021 HSR Bus Pass from your Mosaic account loaded on your PRESTO card. Simply visit any GO Transit Ticket Counter to set the student rate on the same PRESTO card. A separate GO issued Student ID is not required. GO Transit will accept this PRESTO card for travel on GO trains/buses. For travel with GO Transit students have to load money and set the student concession on the card.
- Ontario Tech University and Trent University (Oshawa Campus): GO Transit will accept as valid student ID the school issued ID that features the U-PASS bus icon.
What to Do if You Delete Your Electronic Student ID
If you accidentally delete the email that has your electronic GO Transit student ID, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 416-869-3600 ext. 7272. We’ll re-send your ID.
What to Do If Your School Isn’t Listed
Are you a full-time student at a post-secondary school that isn’t listed above or doesn’t issue student ID cards that match GO’s guidelines? Get in touch with us by email or by phone at 416-869-3600 ext: 7272.