The type of student ID you need depends on whether you’re going to elementary, high, or post-secondary school.
Make sure to always carry your student ID to show for fare inspection.
Elementary and High School Students
Are you 13- to 19-years-old? You must have a valid, current-year student ID from a Canadian school when travelling on GO.
You don’t need a separate GO student ID unless your school doesn’t issue a student ID.
School IDs are valid until October 31st, in most cases, following the year of issue. For example, an ID issued for the 2017 to 2018 school year is valid until October 31, 2018. However, we do reserve the right to amend this date depending on the circumstances.
Are you a full-time, post-secondary student? You must have a GO-approved student ID in order to pay the student fare. The ID can be from either your school or GO Transit.
Which School ID You Can Use
Your student ID from your school must:
- Be issued by a Canadian college or university, including career colleges registered under the Private Career Colleges Act (excluding online courses, institutions, and ESL programs).
- Be issued annually.
- Show an expiry date of the current academic year.
- Show your full-time status.
If you’re a registered, full-time student at one of the following post-secondary schools, you must get a validation sticker from your Registrar’s Office to put on your school’s student ID:
Please see your school’s website for more information.
How to Apply for Student ID from GO Transit
You can apply for a GO Transit student ID online.
If you’re a registered, full-time student at one the following post-secondary schools, apply at your Registrar’s Office:
If you’re a registered, full-time student at one the following post-secondary schools, a separate GO Transit-issued student ID card is not required:
- McMaster University: Full time undergraduate students attending McMaster University are issued a PRESTO card with an HSR sticker affixed to it by the Registrar’s Office. GO Transit will accept this PRESTO card for travel on GO trains/buses. For travel with GO Transit students have to load money and set the student concession on the card.
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) and Trent University (Oshawa Campus): GO Transit will accept as valid student ID the school issued ID that features the U-PASS bus icon.
What to Do if You Delete Your Electronic Student ID
If you accidentally delete the email that has your electronic GO Transit student ID, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 416-869-3600 ext. 7272. We’ll re-send your ID.
What to Do If Your School Isn’t Listed
Are you a full-time student at a post-secondary school that isn’t listed above or doesn’t issue student ID cards that match GO’s guidelines? Get in touch with us by email or by phone at 416-869-3600 ext: 7272.