We’re Testing New GO Electric Vehicles!
Published: Dec 13, 2021
Updated: May 15, 2023
GO Transit has exciting news! We’re charging ahead to a greener future. As we continue to test electric vehicle technology, starting Monday, May 15, 2023, customers can travel on a zero-emission battery electric GO bus for the first time. Let’s GO greener!
Our Trial Electric Bus Project
Testing launched in December 2021, focusing on battery performance and safety features.
As we continue to test electric vehicle technology, customers on GO bus routes 19, 27, 92 and 96B may have the opportunity to ride on one of our two EV buses. During the trial,we will continue to test the vehicles’ battery performance and collectcustomer input.
Once the initial results of the trial are complete, we’ll evaluate to determine potential future implementation.
Striving For Environmental Sustainability
As public transit riders, we know that environmental sustainability is important to you. GO Transit is also committed to sustainability and a future for our planet that can be enjoyed for generations to come. Our electric-powered bus trial is part of our exploration of how this technology can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and make a positive impact on our environment.
Our Electric Vehicles
Our electric vehicles are two double-decker GO buses. These zero-emission vehicles are not only focused on environmental sustainability. They were also designed with customer safety, convenience, and comfort in mind. The electric buses feature:
- A quieter ride for passengers without a diesel engine
- With safety top of mind, sounds and messages will play outside to alert pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles when the bus is turning or reversing
- Nine batteries, giving them a total energy of 648 kilowatt hours
- USB chargers for passengers to charge their personal devices
- Access for luggage storage both inside and outside the bus
- Passenger seatbelts, as part of new legislation
Your safety and comfort is always one of our top priorities!
Our Sustainable Development Goals
We strongly believe in doing our part to work towards a cleaner, greener future for everyone. We will continue to investigate sustainable energy as electric vehicle technology is still rapidly evolving. As other electric vehicle options become available, we will look into those as well.
Public Transit Is Always a Green Choice!
While we evaluate the possibility of zero-emission electric vehicles joining the GO fleet, riding our current GO buses is still an environmentally responsible decision that you can feel good about.
Our current fleet of diesel-powered GO buses:
- Have a proven record of safety and reliability
- Travel more than 50M km every year, safely moving customers to some of the furthest corners of our network.
- Can travel approximately 800-1100 km before needing to refuel
While we explore environmental sustainability, you can be assured that getting our customers to their destinations safely and on time will continue to be two of our top priorities!
Sustainable Energy is the Future
We’re excited about this first step towards greater environmental sustainability, and we’ll share more details when our initial road testing is complete!