Are you gearing up for a return to work in your regular office environment? If you’ve been working from home for a while, you might be feeling a bit fuzzy on the details of your old commuting routine. Leaving the house instead of just heading to your living room? Wearing business attire on the bottom half of your body? It’s a lot to remember!
Not to worry, though, because we’re ready to welcome you back to riding with us! To help refresh your memory, we’ve got some important reminders and some new information regarding trip planning, new schedules, touchless payment, parking options, new customer amenities, COVID-19 safety measures, and the best ways for you to stay up to date on everything GO!
Read on for details so that you’ll be completely prepared for a safe and easy first day back to work.
Easy Planning & Payments
Trip Planning & New September 4 Service Changes
Our schedules have changed and are continuing to change since you may have last travelled with us. As of September 4, we’re increasing weekday service across our system! We know that many people might be moving to a hybrid office/work from home schedule, so we’re excited to give you the flexibility to commute when it’s best for you.
When you’re making your return to work plan, be sure to:
- Plan your trip and check your schedule ahead of time.
- Find new schedules for September 4 here.
- Plan connections to local transit providers on Triplinx.
- Keep in mind that some of our trains are shorter than you might be used to and you may need to adjust where you’re standing on the platform.
- Remember to look down the platform as your train approaches and use all available doors when boarding.
- Use our Where’s My Bus service, if you’re taking a GO bus, to find out when your bus is going to arrive in real-time.
- Remember to keep your ticket or PRESTO card handy as you’ll need to provide valid proof of fare payment upon inspection.
Use PRESTO - It’s Touchless!
It may have been a while since you used your PRESTO card - and you don’t want to be looking for it in a panic on your first morning back to the office!
Now’s the time to:
- Look for your card! If you’ve lost it or you don’t have one, you can buy a PRESTO card at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations or online at prestocard.ca before your trip. You can also buy a card at a Ticket Vending Machine at select GO stations. If your lost card was registered, your balance is protected and you can transfer it to your new card through your PRESTO account online.
- Download the updated PRESTO App on the App Store or Google Play. Use it to check your card balance and load funds instantly!
- Set up Autoload on the PRESTO App so you never have to worry about running out of funds on your card. Choose a minimum dollar amount and your PRESTO card will automatically reload when your balance falls below it.
- Remember that you’ll save 15% or more with PRESTO! Many local transit services also offer discounts for GO customers. PRESTO automatically calculates your discount and applies it to your PRESTO account when you connect to or from GO Transit and your local transit service.
- Calculate your GO Transit fare before you start your commute!
It’s important to know that cash is not accepted at our ticket counters or on buses, so it’s best to buy ahead of time with cashless and contactless options (cash is accepted at Ticket Vending Machines - $50 and $100 bills are NOT accepted). Maybe you’re pivoting to a situation where you only go into the office on an occasional basis and you don’t have a PRESTO card.
No worries! You’ll love the convenience of buying GO e-tickets. It’s so easy!
- Buy e-tickets online
- E-tickets are emailed to you
- Remember to activate your e-ticket 5 minutes before boarding, using your smartphone.
Set a Default Trip
- No need to see a Station Ambassador in person at a GO station - do it all yourself in the app.
- Just tap once at the beginning of your train trip with your PRESTO card. No need to tap off at the end of your trip!
- But remember - default trips are only for GO train trips, not for GO bus trips.
We offer FREE parking to customers on a first-come, first-served basis at most GO stations. We’re committed to making your commute as easy as possible!
Reserved Parking, Carpooling, or Zipcar
With many people moving to more flexible working hours, maybe you won’t be doing your commute first thing in the morning. If that’s the case, and you want to be sure that you have a parking spot when you arrive at the station, reserved parking, carpooling, or Zipcar might be a good option for you. Zipcars are available at select GO stations - check to see if your station offers it!
Cycling or Local Transit Options
Depending on where you live, you might want to consider alternative ways of getting to your GO station. You can look into local transit options or you could even walk or cycle. Some GO stations offer bike storage or bike share - and it’s a great way to get in some exercise before your work day!
New Customer Amenities
New Union Station Bus Terminal
The brand new Union Station Bus Terminal is now open! We’re so excited for you to enjoy this new space. Here’s what you need to know:
- The new terminal is located at the northeast corner of Bay Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, just south of the old bus terminal.
- The new terminal is a two-level, indoor space so you can wait comfortably and then board your bus - all without leaving the building!
- It connects directly to the Scotiabank Arena, the PATH, and Union Station through a new pedestrian bridge over Bay Street. You can easily transfer between buses and trains, or walk to downtown attractions.
- The new terminal has zones, and gates within those zones, that open to the bus platforms - similar to an airport. Pay attention to the digital screens to find out which zone and gate your bus is departing from.
Revitalized Bay Concourse
We can’t wait to welcome you to the new and improved Bay Concourse at Union Station! Enjoy:
- More waiting space - there’s lots of room to spread out and you can access the full length of the platform from the concourse level.
- More connections to the PATH network - the revitalized concourse will make it easier for you to get where you need to go!
Enhanced Onboard Experience
We want you to truly enjoy your commute with us, and look forward to it as a time to relax and unwind. GO Wi-Fi Plus is now available on our buses and trains so you can stay connected - and entertained - while you ride!
- All riders will get up to 10 MB of data per trip. Registered My PRESTO Account users will receive 50 MB of data per trip.
- GO Wi-Fi Plus has a content portal that provides FREE, UNLIMITED access to TV shows, music, audiobooks, e-books, courses, and podcasts!
- We’ve also teamed up with Audible.ca to offer you free audiobooks, podcasts, and more - courtesy of the Quiet Zone by Audible. Just scan our Quiet Zone signs onboard our trains to redeem your free content.
We know that heading back to work will be an adjustment, and we want to set your mind at ease as you ease back into your office environment. Your time is precious and, rather than stopping at stores on the way home, you can continue ordering things online like you’ve been doing for the last year and a half.
No need to worry about unattended packages on your porch! We’ve teamed up with Purolator to offer you a convenient option to pick up or drop off your Purolator packages at a Mobile Quick Stop truck, or drop off your packages at a self-serve Quick Stop kiosk at select GO stations. Learn more here!
We’ve got your grocery shopping covered, too! Now you can order your groceries online with PC Express and pick them up at a PC Express truck, refrigerated locker, or kiosk at select GO stations. We’re doing everything we can to save you time so that you can focus on what matters most to you!
Safety Never Stops
40+ Safety Measures
Your safety is our number one priority! We’ve added enhanced cleaning routines, seat dividers on all trains and buses, and more safety measures in our commitment to your health and comfort. You can do your part by:
- Not taking public transit if you’re sick.
- Wearing a face covering (even if you’re vaccinated).
- Washing your hands frequently. Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout your journey.
- Avoiding lining up at the station. Instantly load funds onto your PRESTO card by using the PRESTO App, or buy your e-ticket online before you head to your station.
Purchase Face Coverings
Face coverings are mandatory - they protect you and others, and they should be on your return to work checklist!
If you forgot your face covering, you can buy one from vending machines in the Skywalk at Union Station, Union Station Bus Terminal, and 7 other select GO stations. A few of the vending machines also sell disposable gloves, hand sanitizer, and more.
CleanSlate UV Sanitizing Devices
If you’re feeling a little nervous about unwanted surface germs, we’ve got the solution! We’ve joined with CleanSlate UV to bring you FREE sanitizing devices at Union Station and 17 other select GO stations.
The sanitizing stations are powered by UV light that can kill up to 99.9% of germs in just 20 seconds! Use this complimentary service to disinfect your phone, keys, PRESTO card, and more!
Stay In The Know
On The GO Alert
Stay up to date on new schedules, service improvements, construction, delays, and other important news by signing up to get On the GO Alerts via text message or email.
Find A Station or Stop
Will you be traveling to or from a new GO station when you return to work? Check out the station page to find departure information, train, bus, and station alerts, and information about construction, fares, and amenities. It’s everything you need to know!
Welcome Back To Work!
Now that you’re ready to return to work with a safe and comfortable commute, you can just relax and focus on remembering how to make casual small talk with your coworkers!