We promise to do our best to be on time; however, sometimes delays happen. With our GO Train Service Guarantee, if your train arrival is delayed by 15 minutes or more for reasons within our control, we will refund what you paid for your GO train trip.
If you travelled on GO Transit and your trip was delayed, you can click on the “Check Trip” link above once the trip is complete to see if it qualifies for a refund. It may take up to 72 hours for the system to show the trip’s eligibility status. If your trip qualifies, see below for how to request a refund if you paid with PRESTO or if you purchased a ticket or a day pass.
Here are some, but not all, eligibility requirements for our Service Guarantee policy.
Eligible delays within GO Transit's control:
- Equipment, signal, or switch problems
- Railcar door issues
- Train traffic
- Blocked tracks due to freight or VIA trains
- Construction or maintenance (without notice)
- Operational or mechanical issues
To be eligible, if you’ve travelled with a ticket on the delayed train, that ticket must have been purchased within one hour of the scheduled departure time. To qualify for a refund on an eligible trip paid with a PRESTO card, you must have tapped on within 15 minutes of your trip’s scheduled departure time.
Not eligible: External factors beyond GO Transit's control
- Police investigations
- On-board emergencies
- Trespassing or pedestrian incidents
- Track obstructions
- Extreme weather
- When the “GO Transit Adjusted Winter Storm Schedule” plan is in effect
- When the on-board yellow emergency strip has been pushed
- Welland Canal right-of-way for passing ships
- Previously communicated service adjustments
- Trips on multiple corridors (only 1 trip at a time)
- Missed connections
- Bus trips
- Train trips cancelled prior to departure
- Construction with advance notice
- Special event flat-fare tickets or passes purchased online or in-person (ie. Weekend Passes)
Requesting a Refund
You can apply for a refund once the trip is complete and is confirmed to qualify for a refund, as outlined above.
If you paid your fare using a PRESTO card, you must submit your claim online within seven days of the delayed trip.
If you used an e-ticket, ticket or day or group pass, you may request a refund in-person at Union Station by the end of the following weekday. The station attendant can check to see if the trip qualifies for a refund.
You will be refunded the fare paid for the eligible delayed trip. PRESTO card holders in their 35+ trip discount periods will receive the reduced fare paid as refund. If you travelled using an e-ticket or paper ticket, you will receive a GO fare voucher redeemable for the trip on which a delay was experienced.
Day and group pass customers will receive GO fare vouchers for one half of the pass price for a delayed trip, up to a maximum of two trips.
Have questions? Be sure to check out the Service Guarantee site for more details.